Friday, January 29, 2010

The Wall

I have been reading about races and long-distance running and so many mentions of hitting THE WALL.

It sounds intimidating. Some make it sound inevitable. Some make it sound avoidable. Some say it barely exists.

In sprinting and middle-distance, there simply was not time to hit the wall. Other runners, yes. Baton hitting hands, yes. The Wall, no!

So, this is all new. I am not sure if it is physical, mental, or both.

I am not really sure how to prepare.

I do the LA Roadrunners training for the Los Angeles Marathon. I try my best to follow the schedule, even with physical issues.

Still, the unknown is ... well, the unknown.

Some people say they cope with knowing they will have special people cheering them on; I will not have that at all.

Some people have past experience; I do not. My longest run so far is 16 miles.

I am not sure what to do. After all the problems of 2009, I can not abide the thought of failure.

In some ways I am reverting to the Servite days. I am finding songs. I am playing the mind games. I have been forcing myself to go, even when my mind and body say no.

I have been thinking about how that team of Servite Friars was so united and how we would do things that seemed so hard.

We shall see. how I fare against the wall.

The 4 Ds. Desire. Dedication. Determination. Dedication. Once a Servite Friar, always a Servite Friar.



3 comments:

  1. Mr. M:
    Don't worry about the wall now. Let's worry about it on March 21.

    One book, though, advises to do a 26+ run BEFORE the marathon because that supposedly helps prevent the infamous wall.

    The LA Leggers are running 24 miles this weekend! YIKES! I feel so far behind.

    WHAT? Isn't your family or your friends coming to see you win the Mega Medal of Power? You have to have someone there.

    You WILL finish this! You are doing such a wonderful job that you WILL finish the marathon.

    Leave the doubts to Ms. Garcia who doesn't have the 4 Ds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the same thing. ROadrunners say they want you to feel the thrill of doing 26.2.

    Don't worry ... I'll take them out on 21st.

    At this point, probably not. Most of the church people who might have are going to a big convention (one I normnally go to) in Anaheim. The really good amigos are a long ways away or in O.C.; family is too far or do not care or oppose. It's a solo run methinks.

    We'll see/

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT? What you do mean they oppose... or don't care.
    No es posible.

    ReplyDelete