Monday, January 25, 2010

Two Steps Forward, 1 99/100ths Steps Back

Sunday ... the day after the long run.

I woke up and felt a bit drained and with a CCD class to teach, I decided to experiment and sleep a bit longer and run at night.

So, I set out after doing "church stuff" all day for a 30-minute shakedown-type run.

I soon realized all systems were not really going. My legs still felt "heavy."


I had worn the brace for my knee all day and had decided to take it off for the run; but, now the knee was sore. My lower back ached a bit; I think I may have slightly pulled a muscle lifting and moving tables. Then, my upper chest got sore. I felt like a driver looking at the dashboard and seeing all the red lights come on at once.

Still, I kept going despite knowing I was not even close to the pace goal. I opted for a trot to Ocean Park Boulevard, around Clover Park, and home, a nice flat course.

I was going, but, not well. I was getting slower and sorer. At this point I just decided to do my best.

It had been a rough day. My class had some issues and some struggled with a little test. A big volunteer at church now has bladder cancer. Nevermind things like Haiti. So, the soreness and pain, were in reality minor annoyances in perspective which kind of helped me keep moving.

Godwilling, I finish the race March 21. I want to fell I earned the medal and faced the challenges, the good and the bad; so, this was one of the gutcheck times.

I was slowing and at points more like trudging, but forward at least.

I finally made it home. I was a bit short on the time goal as well; but, at that point, I thought I better call it a go and live to fight another day.

2.18 miles
28.08 minutes
12:58 pace ... doh.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. M--
    You WILL finish the race. And you will get the Mega Medal of Power. You have earned it and you deserve it.

    I'm so sorry about your church friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope ...

    She is having surgery next week; so, hoping for the best. Kind of gives the ThinkCure! linka bit more importance.

    ReplyDelete