Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Rat Race

I have been using my running as a bit of an escape from the grind of daily life, the dreaded "Rat Race," as well as the harder events of 2009.

So, I was a bit amused to see a creature on my walk to start doing intervals ... a rat! Hmmm, LA Roadrunners training and I see a rat? An omen?

Anyways, I caught a break in the now seemingly endless rain in Southern California Wednesday night and headed to Clover Park for intervals. This time four intervals of 7:30 with two minutes of rest/slower movement in between.

I use the park as it gives me a semi-track and it just seems suited for the job.

It was actually nice with semi-clearing skies and fresh-smelling air.

I set out on Round 1 ... not bad. Round 2 ... not bad again. I was falling into the start fairly fast trap; but, the electronic conscience that is my Garmin 305 , helped.

Round 3 was a bit harder and a little soreness in my knee. Round 4 came and I got it done.

I had actually been wary of running on wet cement and grass (forget a sore knee; a fractured ankle, etc. is a real problem for finishing the Los Angeles Marathon) and thought my times would be a lot worse; but, I did pretty well, even allowing for some slower times on turns.

This week I never got into a cadence (i.e. like last week's "Vamos a la Playa"); so, that was not so fun. On the other hand, I did get some of the old sprinter feeling back as I did the classic arm movements for taking turns at relative speed (slow by the old days; fast for now).

Anyways, I got it done safely. I was also happy as the senior pace leader had said a good target would be a minute faster than race pace (so, 9:30 vs 10:30). The improvement area is just narrowing the time difference a bit.

Round 1 9:14 pace 7:34 of running 0.82 miles
Round 2 9:17 pace 7:41 of running 0.82 miles
Round 3 9:26 pace 7:48 of running 0.82 miles
Round 4 9:23 pace 7:46 of running 0.82 miles

1 comment:

  1. See, even your PL is saying that you're in good target pace.

    I can't believe you run with that awful weather. The kids were saying it was like a hurricane... and you and the rat getting wet... (shaking my head in disapproval)

    We need to get you another song. How about...? Ok, nothing comes to mind. How about Livin' La Vida Loca?

    ReplyDelete