Monday, January 4, 2010

Progress?

45 minutes can be a long time. In soccer/football, it is one half of the game. In college, 45 minutes was often the length of a class. 45 minutes this morning was the assignment for the LA Roadrunners mid-week training ... 45 minutes at LT (a.k.a. Race Pace).

So, I was wondering how it would go after Saturday's run and then yesterday's longish walk. I was kind of cheered surprisingly hearing my unofficial theme song come on the radio again (and it's not a recent song by any means). I set out dark and early and decided why not go for LT as the senior pace leader had suggested, rather than throttle back on the speed. So, I did and actually was initially ahead of LT! I then decided let's make this a bit more fun and take M1 ... the #1 training route with the hill work and all, plus stoplights (stop and go seems to be a bit of a bother for my knee). So, I did.

I even saw a new sight ... an opossum! I had not seen one since living in Orange County! Here was one in Santa Monica! Ah, just like the old days.

I did have some soreness; but, it was much, much, much better than Saturday. I also was keeping on pace the whole run. I would check the Garmin 305 and still be happy with the results and kept going.

I made it all the way around and felt pretty comfortable, despite the warm conditions. I ran 45:22 at 10:27 pace for 4.34 miles. Not bad to start the week, especially as usually I am bad on Monday.

I have had some sharper soreness later in the day; but, it's overall better than the last few weeks. Live to fight another day!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're doing much better. Maybe rest was all you needed.

    We have a lot of opossum around this part of town. They are scary!

    Hey! When are you going to reveal your unofficial theme song? It's like a mystery. Is it a Mexican banda song or something?

    Oh, no. Please do NOT mention futbol. I am getting so nervous about this World Cup. I think we are playing the opening game against the hosting country. Imagine the whole world watching us. And we are doing sooo poorly. I might do harakiri that day. Not, not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure ... when walking there have been some flashes of pain. I am hoping it will at least become less, if not go away to a better place (i.e. not my knee).

    Well, first opossum I ahve seen in S.M. Normally, wildlife is limited to squirrels, birds, and a mouse or two.

    Song ... not until March. No, no banda.

    I have English blood; so, football is always a factor. Yes, Los Tri have South Africa. I need MEX to beat France. The Three Lions play the USA! No, don;t do harikiri ... remember, you need to live to be able to hit people with your racing medals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness it's not banda music!

    Oh, no! We're playing against France too? The crazy guy better not hit any of my players.

    Hey, the Fifa website has a countdown too. Just like the LA Marathon.

    See, I told you 2010 would be so much fun. We get to do a marathon, and we get a World Cup, too.

    ReplyDelete