Sunday, January 31, 2010

If it's not broken in ...

Well, it was Sunday and time for another run for the LA Roadrunners' schedule, 30 minutes of post-long run running.

I had another task as well. I went Saturday to buy replacement Brooks shoes as my original pair were pushing the barriers recommended by the pace leaders. With the mileage climbing and the Los Angeles Marathon coming, I decided it was time to invest in a new pair. I now needed to break them in a bit and Sunday seemed like a good chance.

I also got the rare daylight run since CCD class was cancelled due to the school's open house. So, I get to see the light and some extra and much needed sleep!

I changed the pattern a bit and walked to Clover Park to try and loosen up my knee. I set out for the 30 minutes. The arch felt much better; the knee was not so good.

It was also strange as the run is supposed to break up the lactic acid from the long run; but, mid-way through my calves and quads seemed to go from no feeling to dull soreness.

Anyways, I slowed down a bit. I got the run in, just off target. Back to the live to run another day idea (I had seen the Top to Top store motto of "Running is Life. Pain is optional" on Saturday!

The shoes definitely still feel new and not all yet broken in; but, there is plenty of time.

Another notable thing was the Garmin's total passing 300 miles! I should have had a little ceremony like when players get 1,000 hits or 2,000 points.

At the end of the run, I did manage to get the always fun steaming head effect going!

32:05 of running
10:59 pace
2.97 miles

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing 300 miles!!!!

    I'm so glad you got new shoes. Hopefully that will help alleviate the problems with the knee and your foot.

    You mean, your head was on fire again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. It's one reason I run near the fire station by the airport.

    The SPL said expect to do 500 and 300 is missing some from pre-Garmin days ... So, we're getting there!

    ReplyDelete